Sunday, June 16, 2013

Woah! Catch-Up, Ketchup, Catsup...whatever

Wow! It has been 4 months since my last post. Sorry about that! Real life got in the way of course. So to recap, I got deathly deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital. For anyone who has read George R. R. Martin's "A Dance With Dragons", just know the pale mare rode its way into our cast of Lysistrata. After that we got 2 new baby chicks. We got a Brahma and a Ameraucauna. Keeping with our floral names for the other chickens, we have named these two Sunflower and Gardenia. But my adorable husband was quick to christen them "Sunny and Gurdy". We have begun the process of introducing them to our other 2 girls Daisy Mae and Poppie. It has not gone well. Daisy Mae was pecking them til their feathers were falling out and Poppie was aiming for their eyes. So they are separate now. The big girls free range full time and have their hen house and the babies are locked in the run portion. That way they see each other but cannot touch! The internet had me believe if I stuck the babies into the hen house at night while the big girls were sleeping everything would be okay in the morning. LIES! So we're going to keep them like this until the babies get full grown which should only be a few more months. More to come I promise! I am hoping to get a new job soon which means more money which means more projects can be completed like a fire pit, a pergola, painting the house, rainwater catching system, replacing the broken sprinkler heads, tiling the hideous bathroom and the building of a big new coop! Also we plan to add three more veggie patches and several fruits. All will be documented here which should be good since I am positive we will make mistakes. But triumphs as well!








No comments:

Post a Comment